“Both the accounts preparation and the year end audit are handled completely by Mitchells which means we can focus on the other aspects of the academy process and the day-to-day running of the school.” Linda Hayes, The Bolsover School
Academies are big business – literally! And having a specialist team of accountants and business advisers by your side is essential.
If your school is considering converting to Academy status or has already embarked on the journey to becoming one, then Mitchells’ expert team is here to advise and guide you through the process.
As well as being part of the UK200 Academy Forum, Mitchells’ experience in acting for Not for Profit organisations, means that we are well positioned to work with schools in Chesterfield, Derbyshire and South Yorkshire that are converting to Academy status.
We’ve helped schools in Chesterfield, Derbyshire and South Yorkshire convert to Academy status and continued to support them during the initial daunting period following conversion.
We understand that running an Academy school is very different to operating within a Local Authority’s Structure. Gaining funding directly brings new financial challenges and responsibilities that schools must consider. Effective financial management and preparation of budgets is key in showing the viability of an Academy and in managing it successfully moving forward.
Working alongside head teachers, governors and finance executives, Mitchells’ Academy specialists team will guide you through the Academy conversion process and beyond.
Backed by a wealth of experience in Not for Profit accounting, to support your conversion journey and that daunting period afterwards, Mitchells offers the following services to Academies:
- Preparation of financial statements in accordance with the Statement Of Recommended Practice (SORP)
- Independent audit under arrangements approved by the Secretary of State
- Pension Scheme audit (formerly form TR17A)
- Company Secretarial Duties
- Corporation Tax issues (if applicable)
- Budget forecast assistance
- Accounts return assistance
Training, Advice and Support
- Bookkeeping advice (i.e. chart of accounts, fund accounting etc)
- Assistance with VAT returns
- VAT advice and support (including assistance with the preparation and submission of VAT returns/VAT form 126)
- VAT training
- Responsible Officer training
- Advice and support on internal controls and financial governance
- PAYE advice
- Accounting software advice and support
- Assistance with the development of a risk register
- Advice on budgets and forecasts
- Responsible Officer duties
- Year end benchmarking analysis
- Preparation of school fund accounts
- Forecasting and budgeting
- HR support through Mitchells People Solutions
- Cost management services